Monday, July 26, 2010

Helping in the Home: Folding Friendships

This FHE is a little different. In our house, Monday is laundry day. If I don't have a set day, I just keep putting it off. Monday works for me because, if we go on a trip or something, we're usually back home by Monday and then I don't have dirty vacation clothes sitting around (which always smell worse than normal laundry. Guess that's what happens when you play hard).

I'm awesome at sorting the clothes, putting them in the washer, putting in the detergent, changing them over to the dryer, pulling them out and putting them in baskets and starting the process all over again. However, I'm not so awesome at folding them. And putting them away is like a completely foreign concept. When my husband asks if he has any clean clothes and I point to the laundry baskets, he sighs and rolls his eyes.

So, to fix this dilemna (or at least help with it) I have started having all the laundry done by Family Home Evening time. Then for FHE we sit and fold the clothes and talk. I get help with the laundry and the clothes at least get folded, instead of heaped into baskets. We made the rule that there is no TV while we fold the laundry . It's an awesome time to ask how everyone's day went. If you run out of things to talk about (we do, we have LOTS of laundry) ask silly questions. For example: If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? Would you rather have a bucket on your head or on your foot for 1 week? If you had your own pet, what would it be? What would you name it? You'll be surprised with some of the answers and go ahead and be silly. It breaks up the monotony of laundry and your family shares responsibility. A lesson we all should learn.